It’s barely 24hrs since the NUS BSC Black Sabbs national meeting which took place at University of the Arts London (UAL) … And we got a chance to reaffirm a few reasons to love NUS Black Students’ Campaign (BSC)!
- *Black is Inclusive: By turning on its head the political definition of “Black” which categorises all non-whites under one umbrella “Black”, we’re able to come together in solidarity, have a louder voice, and share our similar struggles to fight for change!
- You’re not the only one: The great thing about NUS BSC is knowing there are other students who share the same experiences as you! NUS BSC represents the largest constituency of Black students in Europe… So you’re not the only one frustrated by the Eurocentric curriculum or feeling the toll of racism in your studies. You can meet other like-minded students at NUS BSC Conferences and regional meetings.
- Build a support network: whether its through attending the NUS BSC Winter/Summer Conference, NUS BSC regional Sabbs meetings, or as an online resource; NUS BSC is equipt with materials, information, statistics and (wo)man power to help you in your journey as a black student!
- Speaking out: “If we don’t stand for something, we may fall for everything” Malcolm X’s words are a motto of the NUS BSC! Unafraid afraid to tell it like it is, at least you know there’s an army of Black students who’ve got your back in the fight for liberation!
- Safe Space: NUS BSC meetings have a feeling of belonging! By creating safe spaces for black students, open dialogue around issues of oppression and racism can be addressed without fair of being patronised or silenced by non-black people.
These are just a hand full of the things we love about NUS Black Students’ Campaign! Share yours in the comment box below!
NUS defines Black to be inclusive of; Africa, Asian, Arab, Caribbean and South American heritage.