The concept of diversity continues to escalate in the education and works fields, yet there’s still little evidence that race-matters are being tackled in the discourse. **”Let’s Talk About Race” will address some of the issues and concerns of BAME (Black and Minority Ethnic) students and staff.
Please join us for Diversity Matters Awareness Week 2016 which focuses on race matters in the learning environment and beyond. From April 18th – 23rd April at University of the Arts London (LCC, LCF and CSM).
Book now for our two panel events:
- Monday 18th April: “Diversity and the Media: The Black Presence In Contemporary European Societies – with Fred Kuwornu” Join us for an evening with Ghanaian-Italian filmmaker, producer, writer and activist Fred Kuwornu (Inside Baffalo, 18 IUS SOLI) screening exclusive extracts of his latest film “BLAXPLOITALIAN: 100 Years of Blackness in Italian Cinema” to aid the discussion on Diversity and the Media in relation to the black presence in contemporary European societies.
Q&A followed by networking drinks reception. 17.30 – 8.30pm Lecture Theatre C, London College of Communication. CLICK HERE to to book!
- Tuesday 19th April: “A face in a foreign space: personal growth through cultural experiences from travels” We’re collaborating with UAL Culture and Travel Society for an evening Exploring Personal Growth From Cultural Experiences Through Travel and photography! On our panel: renowned Photographer James Barnor (Ever Young), local SE London-Nigerian photographer Paul Iwala, and travel blogger Kai Lutterodt. 6pm – 8pm LCF (High Holborn) G05 with networking and refreshments. FREE. (UAL Culture & Travel Society) CLICK HERE to book!
- Wednesday 20th April: “Creating safe spaces for Black Women” Black Blossoms founder and SUARTS Education Officer Bee, offers a workshop for women who self-identify as black. Learn how to be heard in environments where your voice is often overshadowed.** RSVP Bee firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thursday 21st April: “Why does race matter in my learning environment?” short film screening, panel discussionand art exhibition launch. Followed by drinks and networking reception. FREE event. 6pm – 9pmLCF (High Holborn) G05 FREE. CLICK HERE to book!
- Friday 22nd April: “Where We Are Now” – Student + Alumni presentations and networking event. 5.30pm – 8.30pm CSM. FREE. RSVP Kai email@example.com
- Saturday 23rd April: “Black Blossoms – A day of Radical Selfcare and Conversation on Mental Wellbeing in the Black Community.” CLICK HERE for more info
Plus workshops and more! Feel free to share share e-flyer in your networks!
***ALL WELCOME to join in the discussion!
**Let’s Talk About Race, because talking about race doesn’t make you racist. Supporting a system which oppresses BAME people by ignoring their views, however, does.
***Check your privilege: Please note these events are safe spaces for those who self-identify to be given a platform to self-express. Though we welcome all, please be considerate when sharing any opposing views. Thanks